Yes, you can give gifts from outside the United States through Overflow!
There are two nuances to giving internationally that apply universally across the Overflow platform:
- You will be asked to enter a phone number in order to give through Overflow. The Overflow platform accepts any international number, just make sure to select the country code that applies to you.
- If the organization you are giving to requires an address in the donation process and you don't have a United States address, you can enter "N/A" for both Zip Code and State.
Read on for all the details you need to know about giving internationally from a specific asset class (stock, crypto, and cash) as each has its own unique requirements and restrictions when it comes to international gifts:
Currently, Overflow can accept stocks that are traded on the US stock market. However, that doesn't mean you can't donate stock outside the United States! Overflow supports two cases of international stock giving:
1. If you live abroad but own U.S. securities, you can donate them to a 501c3 organization through Overflow.
- Overflow can process U.S. securities donated from local and international brokerage accounts. Please note, however, that there are some international brokerage accounts that are not compatible with Overflow. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire as to whether or not your brokerage account is supported.
2. There are certain international stocks that can be converted to U.S. securities and then traded on the U.S. stock market. These shares can be donated to U.S.-based 501c3 organizations once they have been converted.
- Our Donor Operations team can help you identify if your shares can be converted to U.S. securities and walk you through the process of donating them. Please email email@example.com to begin this process.
Cryptocurrency can be donated to U.S.-based 501c3 organizations from over 60+ countries. View the full list. Overflow currently supports more than 30 cryptocurrency coins, all of which have been vetted for security and compliance and are accepted within the United States.
Overflow's cash donation experience offers the ability to give from a credit card, debit card, or ACH bank transfer. If you are looking to donate to a U.S.-based 501c3 organization through Overflow but live outside the United States, you can give credit or debit donations from anywhere in the world. However, ACH donations are only available if given from a United States banking institution.
- Please note that Overflow's cash-giving experience is displayed in United States Dollars, so keep that in mind when converting the value of your donation from your native currency.
Overflow does not provide tax, legal, compliance, or accounting advice. This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal, compliance, or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal, compliance, and accounting advisors before sending or concluding any transaction, communication, or otherwise. Note that for international givers, tax deductions to U.S.-based 501c3 organizations may differ from those available to donors within the United States.