Overflow is bringing publicly-traded stock donations into the 21st century.
Donating publicly-traded stock is finally digital!
Donating publicly-traded stock to your favorite nonprofit is one of the most tax-efficient ways to give. However, this historically has been a time-consuming, frustrating process requiring you to communicate back and forth between your brokerage and nonprofit. Not to mention that in most cases you have to print, fill out, and either fax 📠 or snail mail 📫 a paper form 📃 to initiate your donation.
How are we still printing and faxing paper forms in the 21st century?!
No one has time for that. ⌛ ⌛ ⌛
Overflow is here to simplify and streamline the complex process of donating publicly-traded stock, enabling you to donate your high-value stock in just a few clicks.
Check out this video for a quick walkthrough:
HOW TO DONATE STOCK VIA OVERFLOW
1. Click the Donate Stock button on your nonprofit's website.
2. Securely connect your brokerage account within the Overflow platform. Simply start typing the name of your brokerage account and it will display in the drop down menu. If you don't know what type of account you have within your brokerage, select the general brokerage at the top of the list.
If you are donating employee shares, you must select the correct account. For example, E*TRADE Stock Plan is their employee stock account.
3. View and select which stocks you would like to donate. You can add as many different stock tickers as you'd like in this step.
Are these shares employees stock?
Enter the number of individual shares you want to gift. You will be prompted to enter a number for each stock ticker you chose.
4. Enter your basic contact information.
Does your brokerage account have a co-owner?
Enter phone number
Enter Mailing Address
5. Provide your electronic signature.
6. Confirm and send your stock donation.
- Upon clicking "Send Donation", your stock donation request will be sent to and processed by Overflow, removing the need for you to track down and fill out transfer instructions or engage in back-and-forth communication with the nonprofit and your brokerage.
- You will immediately receive a donation confirmation for informational and tracking purposes
- Overflow will provide concierge service to inform the nonprofit that your stock donation is on its way.
- Upon receipt of your donation, the nonprofit will send you a charitable acknowledgement letter for you to use for tax purposes.
It is really that easy.